11 Dec 2007

My Top 3 Reads of 2007

I read seventeen books in 2007, which is a pitiful tally any way you care to slice it. Yup, seventeen. One title every three. I wish it could have been more but working forty-two-and-a-half hours a week (and that’s before I even think about applying ass to chair) doesn’t leave me with much energy or opportunity to read. I miss those days, so infrequent now, when I could abandon everything and lose myself in a book for seven, eight, sometimes nine hours straight… (sigh)

Anyway, for what it’s worth, here are my top three favourite reads of 2007, none of which were published this year. Don’t read anything into that though since I only read three ‘current’ titles in '07.

In First Place:
Collected Stories Vol.1, Richard Matheson
-Fifty years on and most of these stories are still as fresh and powerful and relevant as the day they were written. Reading this was a humbling experience.

Second Place:
The Ambassador’s Son, Homer Hickam
-A superb storyteller. Nothing this guy has written has disappointed me. Nothing.

Third Place:
Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk
-Staggeringly sharp prose. One incredible line, paragraph, and chapter after another.


If you haven't read any of these books or authors then I encourage you to head on over to your local library/bookstore/Amazon web site and look them up...

No comments: