1 Jan 2008

2007 - The Short Fiction Numbers

For all you statisticians out there, this is my breakdown of the last twelve months in terms of short fiction written, submitted, accepted, and actually published…

Writing:
1 novelette
7 short stories
10 flashes
Total – 30,700 words (approx.)

Publishing:
143 submissions
16 acceptances
129 rejections
19 no response or withdrawn
3 no placings (comps)
11 publications

The 16 acceptances consisted of:
1 Pro
2 Semi Pro
9 Paying (2 of which were cancelled)
4 Non-paying

The 11 publications consisted of:
1 Pro
1 Semi Pro
6 Paying
3 Non-paying

3 were print, 8 web-based (incl. 2 podcasts).


And so there you have it. Generally, the numbers are down on previous years (with the exception of writing output, which is double that of 2006) but in ’07 I tried to be a little more sensible and selective with my submissions while also targeting some of the tough big markets. This year I will adopt a different strategy again, based on some of the lessons I have learned in 2007 and, hopefully, the fruits will be bigger, sweeter, and altogether more satisfying.

All the best for this New Year, folks.

And as someone whom I greatly admire recently told me…

“ONWARDS”

No comments: