6 Jan 2008

week one (jan 1 - 7)

Did some work on In the Cage of Ghosts this weekend. As usual, I didn't cover as much ground as I'd hoped – two thousand words or so of assorted notes – but it feels good to be working on something. I'm determined to keep myself from rushing into the first draft because I really want the characters and plot to be as clear as possible in my mind before I start writing. I fear it may be one of the reasons why Hear Not the Murmur on the Wind is being turned down more often than an Ugly Sister on Singles Night at the Palace. I don't want to leave it to the semi-blind gropings of the premature first draft to discover what this one is all about. And those plot twists along the way need to be thought long and hard over if they are going to seem at all spontaneous and surprising...

Other news this week-
4 submissions: 1 short to Big Ole Face Full of Monster, 3 flashes to FRiGG
1 acceptance: Satirica (anthology, non-paying)
2 rejections: Aberrant Dreams and yet another near hit at GUD Magazine
1 rejection 'of sorts': Circling failed to make Spinetinglers' Best Of print anthology (a rejection 'of sorts' since stictly-speaking I didn't submit it for consideration)

Finally, if you haven't seen the movie Pan's Labyrinth yet, please please do so; you will not be disappointed. Easily one of the best foreign language movies (or movies period) of the last ten years.


Photobucket
"Pan's Labyrinth"

Next week, I'm working on In The Cage of Ghosts and the proof of Sunrise in Coat City for TQR's Best Of anthology...

1 comment:

Sophie Playle said...

Congrats on the acceptances!

And yes, Pan's Labyrinth is a great film. That monster is the freakiest bit! Such a sad film, though.